The purpose is communication through empathy. Everyone should be able to relate to the user’s story.
INVEST: A mnemonic for judging story quality.
- Independent: The story shouldn’t be dependent on other stories.
- Negotiable: Stories should be able to be changed in the future.
- This is done by capturing the essence of the requirement and not delving into the solution.
- Valuable: Should clearly illustrate the value to the customer.
- Estimatable: Should provide just enough information to calculate a high-level estimate.
- Small: Should strive to be granular enough that they can be completed in as little time as possible.
- Testable: At the end, we should be able to clearly say whether it’s done or not.