- Intelligence Lindy Book: The wisdom paradox
The ability to classify a new problem as a member of a set of old problems.
It is seen everywhere in nature.
Pattern recognition develops over the years and is resistant to cognitive decline.
Some kinds of pattern recognition are prewired in us. Others are completely open-ended and unwired.
- Pattern recognition from phylum prewiring is on the order of millions of years
- Pattern recognition from civilization and culture: 1000s of years
- Life: decades
Pattern Recognition is the most common and powerful tool in the natural world to solve problems
Not every human can engage in a life accumulating patterns of great value
- Thought: The privelege of the few who can? This could also be a source of greate inequality between humans.
- Thus for those who engage in a life of mental challenge, wisdom is their reward
- Ex: In a study, those who displayed high reasoning ability showed an increase in general knowledge and vocabulary with age compared to those who didn’t.